Friday, September 1, 2017

"In Christ Alone"

Sunday August 20, 2017 at 8:54PM

Hello Hello Hello!

Cambodia has been such a blessing in my life. It is beautiful in many ways, ways I can't even express. The humility of those around me is astounding. I just want to be with them for as long as I can.

On  Monday, we got to teach this down-to earth young woman. She used to live in New Zealand and obtained her education their. However her uncle had passed away, from a hiking accident,
making it not possible for her to stay in the country without his support. She came back and a few months later, he brother had passed away. When we entered her house, I can't quite explain it but there is this overwhelming love in the house. We were teaching her on the restoration that evening. She had her bible and had opened to James 1:5. While turning to the pages, I realized that there was a picture of her uncle standing on top on the snow mountains of New Zealand. It was a memoir/ program for his passing away. We asked if we could take his picture out of the scriptures and to look at it. I decided to place it on the center of we were sitting on the floor. More and more, we felt this great peace around us as we continued to teach her about the profound truth of the Restoration. It was like the spirit of her uncle was there, right there with us, touching his niece's heart to greater truths. At the end of the lesson, I glanced at pamphlet program of her uncle's and realized that the closing song was in "In Christ Alone". Oh my, that is one of my favorite songs. We asked her if we could sing together. An even such a greater spirit entered our hearts. The room was gloomy and so peaceful. I learned more that day, that love is kind, it is all around me, all around us. I know that Christ lives,with all of my heart. I know this to be true.

Every Wednesday, we'd go on a quick visit before lunch to this cute elderly woman's house. Man, she is the sweetest! She does not have any family members and lives in a house all by herself. She has this crazy cat, that has the same name as my last name. Crazy. But she is one of the strongest members of the Gospel. Well, last weekend, we went  ahead to do her dishes and help her clean the house, man she got feisty, but in a cute way. We left and came back the next week to her telling us how mad she was that we served her by cleaning her house. She told us that she is a capable independent woman and the one thing she is not capable of is reading. Her eyes are not as clear, making it difficult for  her to read.

She told us that we serve her enough! She wants to be independent and the only request she wanted from us missionaries was to read the scriptures for her. It amazes how this old woman, in her 90s is able to take care of herself and is able to work and make a living. She is so inspiring and all that she ever wanted us to do is for us to share the Word of God with her. That would fulfill her life! She doesn't need us to clean dishes, not the house, or feed her cat, nor cut up potatoes for her to sell, but to just sit down with her and read the plain and precious truths to remind her of her divine identity,as a daughter of God. That is all she ever wanted once a week. It was so cute.

Last Sat., we felt this prompting to call a potential investigator. We tried to call her again and again, but she never answered her phone until that morning. We found out that her husband had
to be emergency transported to Vietnam, because he had suffered a stroke. She was crying on the telephone and we couldn't hear her clearly. We asked if we could visit her before she goes to Vietnam to see her husband. She accepted the request. When we got to her house, we found her looking so frail and scared. We sat down and literally the whole lesson, she was begging for God to heal her husband. She was so desperate. She did not have enough money to go see her husband, let alone find enough money to save his life. She was so desperate to find enough food to feed her children.  My heart broke. I just didn't know what to do. We sat there and looked at her beautiful eyes, as
they were constantly filled with tears. We shared her a message of hope and prayed together. Right after, she told us, Sisters I feel that God is telling me that everything is OK, He will take care of my husband. Man, there was this sweet relieve that entered my heart! My companion and I were so overwhelmed of that experience! The Love of God is great!

This is all that I have for this week! I pray and hope you have a wonderful week!

With much Love and Gratitude,

Sister Sok

Attached is a funny picture of our mission Family. Me, sitting right next to my companion, Sister Smith (in the long white dress at the end of the row)


No comments:

Post a Comment