Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Keep up your "good works"

Monday December 5, 2016 at 1:46AM

I am humbly thankful for the opportunity to serve in Cambodia. This week's lessons have taught me on why I am called here. The people I'm teaching are so wonderful in many ways. I've realized how important it is to understand their hearts when it comes to trying to teach them a meaningful and trusting lesson. Some of the people we teach have a very similar heart and walks of life such as mine. Many of the people have families who are not members of the church. Not only that they are not members, but some are also against the church. In their perspective (non members), it's either you choose your family or God. However, the lessons become very meaning when we teach with hope, with eternity in mind. What I find difficult is helping the people we teach have an eternity perspective and of eternity with our families. I, even myself have a difficult time with thinking in terms of an eternal perspective. However, I am called here for a reason and one of them is to understand their hearts. Even if it's not completely, I understand what it feels like to be the pioneer. I understand what it's like to stand up for yourself even if it means you may be alone with Christ, I understand what it feels like to be persecuted by the ones you love, I understand what it feels like when your family and your mother cut you off and do not want to do anything with you for months. I feel for them and I love them, nevertheless.

One of the topics, I was studying was "Righteous Judgment" from General Conference. I glanced at the subtitles of the talk and one of them was entitled, "Sacrifice". I thought to myself: what does sacrifice have anything to do with righteous judgment? I learned how sacrifice is a conversion to a holier state. It is a healing power that allows us to get closer to God in transforming ourselves to a holy state. I truly believe that our offerings of ourselves and turning towards God will help us understand more of our sacrifices, but more importantly, The Atonement of Jesus Christ. To judge righteously, you must understand the suffering others. This is when mercy stand hand by hand with justice, this when the Atonement becomes a sacred converting power in our lives.

Love,
Sister Sok

No comments:

Post a Comment